Wednesday, November 19, 2014

30 Day Yoga Challenge

I helped out on a tech project at work and received a $100 Zappos gift card. Woohoo! I bought a new yoga mat that's 8mm thick - it's a little bit more plush and cushioned - a yoga mat sling to carry it in, a workout shirt, and a new pair of yoga pants. A little shopping spree felt so good!

When I was 23-24 years old, I used to live just a few blocks away from a great yoga studio that offered a fantastic student discount. I practiced yoga about 3-4 times a week. I felt so amazing. I think that was the most fit and flexible time of my life.

Fast forward to now, 30 years old, with a sedentary desk job... I feel so stiff and stagnant. And when we're in that state, it's hard to just jump back into a fitness routine and get going. So, I tried to find some support to get motivated.

I solicited one of my good friends to take on a You Do Yoga - 30 Day Challenge with me. We just completed Day 6, so almost a full week! The sessions are very attainable - they're anywhere from 15-30 minutes long. There are enough "easy" moves to make you feel great AND feel great about yourself. *yeah, I totally just twisted my spine hella far* But then she'll bust out these moves that pretty much require a fitness level way beyond mine. *omg, I'm so happy I'm doing this in the extreme privacy of my own home*

Once again, I'm not a perfect person, and everything always has a little kink in it. Sometimes, I just flop down and grunt - which causes my dogs to become very concerned about me. Or I just go into Child's Pose... I wish there was a Child's Pose equivalent for work or life in general. And, on Day 5, I came home with a migraine headache and just couldn't bring myself to do anything. I'm pretty sure my head would've exploded if I went into Downward Dog. So, I just doubled up today to catch up. No harm done.

It's a lot more fun having someone to text whenever I complete a session who knows how it feels... or holding me accountable so I don't just quit. I appreciate the support! I'm going to keep it up until I reach Day 30... that's my goal and I'm committed to it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww, yay on the gift card!! What a fun way to spend your reward!! And yes, it's so much more fun to do this challenge with someone- also holds you accountable too! Woohoo! I feel like I'm getting somewhat better. lol. And yeah, I have had to skip a move or two, but that's OK. We're still doing most of it! haha. Yay yoga!! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to hit the 2 week mark tomorrow! Thanks for taking this challenge with me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete