Saturday, February 21, 2015

Peggy Bundy, Francois, & Whitney Thore

Will came home today with two new surprise additions for our salt water aquarium. A Six Line Wrasse who I've named Peggy Bundy - in honor of our previous wrasse, Marcy Darcy (rest in peace...) - and a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp who I've named Francois. I think I've been conditioned by Finding Nemo to believe all cleaner shrimp are French, hehe.

After the unfortunate pop eye and ick epidemic of 2013... when Bean (maroon clown), Marcy Darcy (six line wrasse), and Benny the Blenny (scooter blenny) all perished in one summer, I didn't want to add any new fishies & critters. But now I'm ready and I'm happy they're here!

Francois immediately flitted all around the tank looking for food and my existing clown fish & blue tang - Pebbles and Dory - were checking him out all day. So cute! Peggy Bundy swam into a little whole in the live rock and hid there for a long time. Just keeping a suspicious eye out to keep track of all the commotion. So cute as well!

I love sitting next to my aquarium in the mornings to watch the fish swim around and the hermit crabs & snails slowly foraging about. It's so relaxing and therapeutic. Did you know there are a multitude of health benefits to keeping an aquarium in your home? It can significantly reduce stress levels and has even shown to be one of the most reliable ways of temporarily lowering your blood pressure. I'm lucky to get all the benefits and the fun of feeding them... while hubby does all the cleaning and maintenance. :)

Another thing that I found to be very therapeutic? Binge watching "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" on TLC. Whitney Thore became an internet sensation when her dance video went viral. She was a lifelong dancer who fell victim to PCOS in college...! She gained over 200 pounds within a decade and felt completely devastated and derailed. Her candidness, her courage, and her triumphant spirit brought me to tears so many times. I seriously, quite literally, watched the entire season in 24 hours. I couldn't peel my eyes away.

If I could ever meet her in person, I would like to thank her for giving a face and voice to PCOS. For so long it's been this weird syndrome that nobody talked about. Most women who had it couldn't even get properly diagnosed for it, and nobody knows anything about it... unless you have PCOS. Or know someone with it, like me, and then you're forced to listen to EVERYTHING about it. Haha, sorry folks!

One of the many things I can take away from her show is that she couldn't be so fabulous without the unending support of her family and friends. Just like me! Thank you everyone for all your support!!!! :)

#MyBigFatFabLife - Please come back for another season!

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I wish I had cable so I could check out the show! Maybe we could watch a few episodes when I visit next weekend! Yay for the fishies! I love the Married with Children name theme. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the episodes on my DVR anymore! I'm commenting on this as you're slowly making your way up to Las Vegas... sorry for the crazy traffic! Can't wait to see you!

      Delete
  2. That's cool you give your sea creatures such interesting names haha. That's also a bonus that it's therapeutic too! It makes sense though, it's calming and soothing and it makes you happy to watch them swim around and watch their personalities interact and stuff, so that's an awesome bonus, esp since hubby does the hard work of maintenence =P. Whitney Thore sounds amazing and that's awesome you have her as an inspiration and role model!! I do hope she responds to your fan mail =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I already told you that I went super fan-girl and wrote a really long email to Whitney Thore. I don't expect her to respond, in fact, I would probably just fall over and die if she did. LOL. I just hope that she reads it. She's so amazing and inspiring and I want her to know how much I appreciate her!

      As for my creatures... Francois has unfortunately passed away... at the hands (or should I say fins) of Pebbles. My homicidal clown fish claimed the life of her 2nd cleaner shrimp. The first one died years ago when she decapitated it and swam around the tank with the head held in her mouth by one of the shrimp's antennae. Poor Francois got his tail completely bitten off or eaten as well his little front arms. :( He just kind of bobbed around and hid behind the heater... then the snails started attacking and eating him... we normally don't interfere with the circle of life, but we had to end his suffering humanely. :(

      Delete