Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Kind Diet

I read a book by Alicia Silverstone called, The Kind Diet, years ago. It sparked this whole eating revolution within my own life... in fact, I only ate meat that was certified organic and humanely raised and handled for the entire year of 2010. I permanently made the switch from keeping milk in my fridge to almond & soy milk. I learned a lot about eating kindly for the earth and for my body. That book really changed the fundamental way I viewed the relationship between me, my food, and the planet.

Since then, she's come out with another book - The Kind Mama. I read the introductory chapters about the plant-based lifestyle research and benefits. And then I read the chapters on how it can increase fertility. I just love her holistic approach to everything and the complete picture on plant-based nutrition and the female body. So, in my renewed dedication to The No Food Fun Life, I am still going to aim for carb-free and sugar free... but I think I'm going to ease up a bit on the natural starchy veggies, fruits, and whole grains. It will probably make life a lot easier and more enjoyable.

In the beginning, it was easy to get swept up in the initial momentum and go all-out carb free, get on the meds, download apps, and just turn the whole experience into a regimen. I was on a mission and it was quite stressful. Now that it's been almost 6 months and the frantic excitement has died down... I want to keep up a healthy lifestyle filled with good nutrition and fitness, but less militantly.

So, here's the first meal I've made since deciding to embark on a kinder diet. I made my lunch for tomorrow... some Korean Hobak Jun (side dishes) of egg-battered fried tofu and zucchini. I also scrambled the leftover egg. I made a big batch of the Miso Soup recipe found in The Kind Mama. It was the first time I had cooked with Kabocha Squash... and it's a delicious little squash. Love it!

What else is changing? I've stopped taking Clomid, the nightmare hormone pill. Even though I only take it 5 days each cycle, I am positive that it continues to affect your body long after. I finally feel joyful and lighthearted again for the first time in months... since starting the medication! It was like running on a revved up hormone engine... I was strung super tight. I didn't even realize how miserable I've been feeling until I felt better. I'm hoping acupuncture can help regulate my ovulation issues instead.

I've also been working less hours. I think the Clomid affected me so much that I literally got talked to at work about my attitude and behavior... :/ I don't agree with everything that was brought up in that meeting, regardless of my emotional issues. But, I also don't excuse or justify anything either.. Suffice it to say, it was a get-it-together and back-to-reality moment... I think sometimes I forget some important lessons I learned from previous workplaces because I FEEL like I do valuable work and that I am among friends... I've put myself back into my government worker bee shoes and just started playing it a lot safer. I've also pulled back my hours at work as a self-preservation tactic. For the past few weeks I've averaged about 35-ish hours per week. So far, so good.

And I reduced my Metformin to 1/2 the dosage - which has done wonders for my eyes! LOL... Anyone remember that post? The side effect from the Metformin was doing really strange things to my eyes... my right eye was always red no matter what and my left eye couldn't stop watering all day. It got to a point where the skin at the corners of my left eye was red, raw & broken from the constant watering and me wiping the moisture away. I couldn't really put Neosporin on the corners... but you know what worked amazingly well? Honey! The skin healed up and got better... yay!

Well, that's about it. Everything else is pretty much the same. Something happened at work today that was cray-cray... but that's like a whole new topic that would be too complex and weird to write down. It certainly has been a super weird atmosphere... and it's not slowing down... But, I'm just going to not let it affect my state of mind. Anyway, I'm going to head to bed because I know my tomorrow is jam-packed. Gotta get that quality sleep... *Zzzzzzzzzz*

PS - After many complaints from my loyal readers about how difficult it is to leave comments with their phones... I finally figured out how to tweak the settings. So, now it should be easier? Give it a try and let me know if it has improved! :)

2 comments:

  1. Kabocha squash is awesome!! It was the second squash that Lily had as an infant!! that's crazy your work had to have that talk with you, but at least they care enough to talk to you since they do value you as an employee and want you to be around and successful, so that's good! I'm glad your eyes are getting better too, I remember you telling me they were bothering you a lot. That ecard is hilarious haha! Keep it up alvina, I'm so proud of your journey and I'm glad you're continuing to explore options to find that healthy balance in your food adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know she ate Kabocha squash! I remember feeding her the avocado-salmon food...! As for the work stuff... it's improved personally... but overall it has gotten so strange.

    ReplyDelete