Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Beginning


This week marks the beginning of a massive lifestyle change. I was told by my doctor to eat my way to good health... No sugar. No carbs. No starches. Not like, eat brown rice instead of white rice. More like, don't eat any rice. It's not forever, it's until I can become PCOS symptom-free. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a common endocrine (or hormone-related) disorder that affect many women of reproductive age.

Symptoms include infrequent, absent, or prolonged menstrual periods, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity. Everyone's experienced one of the above at some time or another. While it may not mean you have PCOS... if you have it, you will know because you will read the first sentence in this paragraph and then multiply the intensity and duration by 20x. That's how it feels. I gained 25lb in 5 months with no diet, activity, or lifestyle change. I got a face full of purple painful acne, random facial & body hair, and I went 8 months without a menstrual period. My testosterone level was sky-high.

The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Early diagnosis and treatment along with weight loss may reduce the risk of long-term complications, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and infertility. And probably general unhappiness and low self-esteem caused by all the awful symptoms, right?

Complications
- High blood pressure
- Cholesterol and lipid abnormalities, such as elevated triglycerides or low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the "good" cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis — a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
- Infertility
- Sleep apnea
- Depression and anxiety
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Cancer of the uterine lining (endometrial cancer), caused by exposure to continuous high levels of estrogen
- Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure


Anyway, I'm just writing this down to announce my renewed dedication to getting healthy. The possible complications of prolonged exposure to the hormonal, physical, and mental effects of PCOS are quietly scaring me out of my socks on a subconscious level. I need to take back my health and move on with my life. I just turned 30 this year and I want the prime years of my life to feel like it. My husband and I are ready to begin the next chapter of our life and this disorder... syndrome... disease... will not dictate my life.

I'm ready to explore how to navigate daily life with an overhaul of the following components: eating, moving, and relaxing. :)

5 comments:

  1. That's a huge change but I know you can do it!! You've given up beef before, now it's carbs' turn! Granted carbs are the entire base of the food pyramid and beef doesn't even have it's own section... But weren't they getting rid of that stupid pyramid anyway? :P
    You've gotten through so much in your life, enough education and training for at least four different careers, moved to Vegas away from all your friends and family and still thrived. I'm sorry that your PCOS has gotten this far out of hand and that you have to give up so much of your life to it, but now that it has to be done, I KNOW you can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a change! You can do it!! You want to be over this PCOS thing so I know you will stick to a healthier lifestyle! Have you heard of ketosis? It's essentially a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. I just heard about it but I read that it could reverse PCOS. Maybe something to look into? You can't eat grains so it sort of sounds like what your doctor is recommending. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you positive vibes and warm cyber hugs!! you have overcome so many struggles before and I know you will do the same here! You are such a strong person and I have utmost faith in you. Thank you for sharing and let us know if there is any way we can be of help. If anyone can beat this, it's you! Hang in there! =) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys for all the faith and support! I will not let you, myself, or my future-self down! I GOT THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete