Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Yoga and Hiking

Part of my commitment to my new lifestyle is moving and relaxing. I've been making some slow but steady progress in those departments. I've started wearing and syncing my Fitbit Flex every day. I've learned a few things: I average at just about 6,000-7,000 steps per day, I sleep just a little under 8 hours per night, and I don't move much when I sleep.

What else... I spontaneously joined my teammates in an outdoor yoga event after work one night. It was the moment where I chose to get moving instead of drive home and sit. It was a tough decision because my back was really killing me (I have scoliosis... and back pain and stiffness will keep me from moving around, which in turn causes more back pain and stiffness, go figure). However, I was very proud of myself for making the right choice. After yoga, I went to enjoy a burger with my friends - protein style, no sauce, with a side of broccoli. Yay!

Last week, I told myself... Yoga on Thursday morning before work or bust! I announced my intentions to a teammate so that I could have some sort of non-self accountability. I woke up with significantly less sleep than usual and felt pretty crappy - I'm not a morning person, at all. But I honored my promise to myself and got to the gym. It gave me a wonderful feeling - physically and mentally - all day.

Lastly, I went on a one day camping trip with my friends this weekend. I went on two hikes, one in the evening we arrived and one in the morning before we left. It felt great to experience the quiet adventurousness of being in nature was so relaxing. At night, the clouds rolled in and I could see their outlines in the remnants of twilight. Even though it really hid the stars, it felt so amazing because the moist air, cool breeze, and fire pit really reminded me of being on the beach in San Diego again. It gave me a bit of nostalgia.

I feel like I am finding opportunities to become more active and I'm finally giving that aspect of my life more attention. I remember how strong, flexible, and good I felt in my mid-20's when I used to practice yoga 3-4 times per week. Even though that is not something I can accommodate at this time, I am finding other ways to move more often and be more active. I take that as a small victory over a giant mental roadblock.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you walk more steps than I do! Good for you! My office is smaller and more sedentary than your office space. Yoga sounds amazing - it is good for so many reasons. Stick with it - it will help with your back pain. Great changes so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job alvina! You're doing super great!!!

    ReplyDelete