Friday, January 9, 2015

Sweet Potato Sausage Soup


Sweet Potato Sausage Soup
In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil w. medium-high heat. Cook 1 yellow onion (diced) and 4 cloves garlic (minced), until translucent. Season w. salt & pepper. Remove 3 Italian sausages from their casings. Add sausage to the pot with onions & garlic... break up meat with a wooden spoon and brown meat.

Add 4 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water, and 2 sweet potatoes (peeled & diced) to the pot. Bring to a boil. Add 3/4 cup small pasta shells and cook until al dente. OR skip the pasta and boil for about 7-8 minutes until sweet potato is soft.

Reduce to a simmer. Add 1 bunch of kale (rip leaves into edible size pieces, leave out the hard parts). Leave heat on for about 4 minutes until leaves wilt.

It's yummy... hits the spot on a cold afternoon! It fed me for quite a few meals this week. And Italian sausage usually comes in packs of 4, so you can have a lovely breakfast the next morning. Perfect!

EXERCISE UPDATE
So, I accompanied my friend to another on-site wellness class today. It was at the end of my work day, and I didn't want to go... just lacked motivation. I also had a weird, bad-ish day and didn't feel happy. One of my teammates was also affected by the events of the day and in a bad mood for a spell. I noticed the two of us were sitting there hunched over our keyboards and feeding off each other's negative energy. I was like: Omg! I'm going to just keep feeling crappy and bring it home with me... go work out!!

So, I went to Bootylates by Nina Waldman... the fancy lady on the right. This class was definitely at a much more manageable intensity level. The class started late due to technical difficulties, and I had to leave early... so I only probably worked out for about 30 minutes, but she made that short time count! My booty is sore! haha

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy and healthy!! Woohoo!! Good job on working out! That's a great way to de-stress from work. Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made plans with a friend from work to exercise in her apartment's gym at 6pm today. I wanted to get a lot of hours in before I left for vacation, but I stopped working and drove to her home (which is only 3 minutes from my house!) and I did the target heart rate program on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I feel very good about that decision. And we agreed to make it a twice weekly thing! I am so happy to set up a routine and thankful for a workout buddy! :)

      Delete